Urban planners come in all shapes and sizes and work for both the private and public sectors. While they share a common passion, there are some extra things that public sector planners working in local and state government are exposed to.
1. 45 minute phone conversations with NIMBYs
2. presenting a friendly face for the public
3. inside jokes at public meetings
4. putting out fires that are dropped on your desk after a Councilman calls
5. responding to FOIA requests
6. knowing so much about the inner workings of local government but not being able to tell anyone
7. being a broken record
8. conducting neighborhood meetings
9. deflecting interdepartmental squabbles
10. recovering from the new city manager
Join the Dollar Planner Club!
urban planning blog