Urban planners come in all shapes and sizes and work for both the private and public sectors. While they share a common passion, there are some extra things that public sector planners working in local and state government are exposed to.
1. 45 minute phone conversations with NIMBYs
2. presenting a friendly face for the public
3. inside jokes at public meetings
4. putting out fires that are dropped on your desk after an elected calls
5. responding to FOIA requests
6. knowing so much about the inner workings of local government but not being able to tell anyone
7. being a broken record
8. conducting neighborhood meetings
9. deflecting interdepartmental squabbles
10. coping with long periods of understaffing
...still love it though
Join the Dollar Planner Club!
urban planning blog