Principal Planner - Franklin, TN
Under general supervision, reviews development proposals submitted to the City and prepares written recommendations, presents recommendations to the Planning Commission and Board of Mayor and Aldermen, interprets and applies comprehensive plans and zoning ordinances, occasionally compiles and analyzes data on economic, social, and physical factors affecting land use and prepares graphic and narrative reports on said data, prepares Zoning Ordinance amendments.
A. Management of Projects
A. Management of Projects
- Reviews development projects to ensure compliance with the City’s zoning ordinance, rules, and regulations; performs site design and architectural analysis; Coordinates recommendations from various departments.
- Manages and reviews annexation requests. Coordinates preparation of plans of services with various departments.
- Coordinates submittals and conducts reviews of variance requests, administrative appeals, and zoning boundary amendments.
- Prepares narrative reports of Administrative, Planning Commission, and Board of Zoning Appeals items; prepares related maps, graphics, or data tabulations as needed.
- Presents staff findings and recommendations to regulatory and hearing bodies and serves as primary staff contact on these items.
- Reviews resubmitted plans following preliminary approval in order to ensure that all conditions of approval have been met.
- Coordinates and leads informal plan meetings with applicants to discuss plans and offer guidance to applicants.
- Meets with the public, developers, and design professionals regarding existing and potential projects; answers inquiries from applicants and public regarding existing and potential projects by email and phone.
- Meets with the public, developers, and design professionals regarding guidelines and general intent of zoning ordinance, subdivision regulations, and internal processes; answers inquiries from applicants regarding design guidelines and review procedures.
- Attends required neighborhood meetings for new development projects and conveys City policies, procedures, standards, and vision, when necessary.
- Performs special projects and studies.
- Makes recommendations for amendments to the Land Use Plan, Zoning Ordinance, and Subdivision Regulations.
- Performs spatial analysis and creates ArcGIS maps for planning projects (e.g. floodplain properties, unused right-of-way, community revitalization plan, housing inventory breakdown, etc.)
- Advances best practices in sustainability, urban design, and historic preservation.
- Receives various forms, reports, plans, plats, maps, manuals, or other documentation; processes, forwards or retains, as appropriate; records project information in City’s project tracking software.
- Constructs reports using Microsoft, Adobe, and IDT software and presents recommendations to various committees.
- Prepares and presents various items for consideration by the Franklin Planning Commission (FMPC), Franklin Board of Zoning Appeals (BOZA), Franklin Board of Mayor and Aldermen, and other regulatory and hearing bodies; attends Joint FMPC/BOMA workshops, when requested;
- Education and Experience: The required knowledge, skill, and abilities to satisfactorily perform job duties are normally acquired through attainment of a Master's degree (M. A.) in urban planning or equivalent and two to three years of planning experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.