6. Being chauvinistic toward female urban planners
Zero tolerance. None, nada, zip!
7. Not adequately paying urban planners their market worth
The APA periodically does a salary survey. They also have a salary worksheet that allows you to plug in your stats and see how much you're worth according to the survey. No list would be complete without advocating for reasonable pay for well-educated planners who are often saddled with student loan debt.
8. Downplaying urban planning's role in reducing climate change
Not recognizing planning's incrementalist role in reducing climate change and worse yet, downplaying any responsibility in the same is no bueno!
9. Slashing training budgets for urban planners
Planners need to be refueled and reinspired on a regular basis. Oh, and they also need AICP credits. So reducing training budgets for planners just sucks.
10. Not advocating for the preservation of local history
You gotsta get crazy about preserving historic places! Doing the converse will get you on the planning naughty list faster than you can say Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.
urban planning blog